Careful consideration needs to be given to the special requirements of your workforce.
Site management should proactively identify any requirements of staff and provide the right facilities to appropriately support team members.
Below is an example of how sites can effectively support their members of staff during cold weather:
- The project manager observed that operatives on site who suffered from vibration white finger struggled to perform tasks through the winter months due to this condition;
- It was identified that the warm heat from the hand dryer quickly revived the finger and relieved the pain;
- Hand dryers were installed throughout the site areas to aid workers whilst on site;
- Although gloves were also provided, limitations were highlighted, as they were task specific and often got damp, adding to the speed at which the condition is bought on;
- The hand dryers were a quick and convenient way of drying out gloves and warming through hands whilst on site without the worker having to leave the workplace;
- This went beyond the guidance provided by the Health and Safety Executive, on helping sufferers of the painful condition.
To read more about HAVS, click below.