The environment is a key concern for contractors. Attempts must be made to not just minimise construction’s impact on the environment, but to strive for making a positive contribution to the environment.
See the examples below for how one site addressed this:
- The contractor is committed to reducing operational emissions intensity by 10% and becoming carbon positive.
- The site therefore sought to create a new cabin design to meet these aims, improving the current eco site accommodation design.
- The new cabins feature the following improvements:
– specifying Dimplex QRad intelligent heating;
– specifying LED throughout, automated with sensors specific to the user type (e.g project manager vs site administration);
– specifying ZipTap InLine instantaneous water heaters in bathrooms, and Zip boiling water heater in the kitchens;
– redesigning the electrical layout to automatically shut down all non-essential power, leaving only the CCTV and the fridges on overnight;
– Calorex dehumidifier scaled using the London Fire Brigade Sizing Guide for their training centre.
This initiative intends to reduce overall energy usage, rather than seeking alternative methods of energy production.
Monitor report. Berkeley Homes. West Sussex. September 2017.