It is important to encourage the younger generation to learn and become involved in the industry.
Sites and companies should be actively engaging with young people who are considering a career in construction.
Below is an example of how one site created opportunities for young people in the area:
- The site launched its Construction Experience Hub which was a purpose built work experience facility which was opened by the local councillor;
- The hub can take up to five students for one week for a varied hands-on work experience programme under supervision by experienced tradesmen;
- The learning hub is equipped with six internal/ external sections, comprising electrical, plumbing, carpentry, tiling, painting and decorating, and bricklaying;
- Each section is fitted out with the challenge of a small scale construction project;
- The facility provided an exciting opportunity for a wide variety of groups from school children to new apprentices to gain early access to the industry as well as practical exercises in a safe environment.
To read the press release on this project, click below.