Waste and debris can be a danger as well as locking untidy.
Whilst construction sites are usually areas of no access and any form of risk should be contained within the site, areas above and below ground also need to be taken into account.
The below example shows how one site took into account the potential risk to aerial activity:
- Foreign Object debris (FOD) is recognised as one of the biggest risks in the aviation industry;
- Generally road sweepers are used to control FOD; however, on small projects they are often underutilised;
- Consequently this company has procured a piece of equipment that can be towed behind any type of vehicle including a car and captures debris as it passes over any hard area;
- The force of friction and a series of specially designed brushes scoops up any foreign objects and retains them in an easy to empty mesh capture zone;
- Benefits include a safe system of working with smaller mechanical plant, time and hence cost reduction plus better utilisation of plant with far less environmental impact.
Monitor report. Morgan Sindall Construction & Infrastructure Ltd. Middlesex. August 2016