The project has a minimum requirement for Cut Level 3/Index ‘B’ gloves, and they wanted to work with Stalsen to ensure compliance with this and increase awareness and knowledge around the importance of wearing the correct glove type.
The campaign was designed in such a way that it could be replicated on other sites, but also be ran on one single site multiple times as subcontractor staff change and increase in numbers. This is the first campaign of its kind that has been run in the UK.
The campaign was broken down into different parts:
- SLT Presentation: A presentation was given to the Safety Leadership Team, detailing what effective glove protection looks like, why it is important, and how that links in with the new legislation.
- Toolbox Talks: The campaign was launched with a toolbox talk to all site staff to help them understand the markings on gloves and their importance.
- Hand Protection Board: Hand protection boards were placed around the welfare, physically showing the different types of gloves.
- Posters: A series of posters were produced, some providing information, and others directed at the reader.
Still to be arranged further into the campaign:
- Second Toolbox Talk: This would be focused on how to take care of your gloves.
- Audit: An audit to show the level of compliance with the minimum glove level. Following the audit, alterations will be made to the campaign and it will be re-launched.
The introduction of the minimum glove requirement on the project has so far been a success, with lower levels of hand related injuries in comparison to other projects.