The environment should be considered a high priority before, during and after construction activity.
Contractors have the resources and manpower to make a difference.
Opportunities should therefore be taken to improve the environment for the local area, providing a solution as well as leaving a lasting legacy for the future.
One site went above and beyond its necessary activity on-site and achieved this through the implementation of groundwater remediation:
- The local area had been undergoing a historic period of contamination in its shallow aquifers due to waste from a previous power station, dye factory, tanning works and garages, comprising of benzene and naphthalene.
- A high tec groundwater system was therefore installed in February 2016 to solve the issue for the local area;
- Championed by MS and co-ordinated with Crossrail and the EA, the remediation consultant generates ozone pumped through wells into the groundwater;
- This acts to releases contamination and turn it into vapour, which is then extracted to the surface and run through activated carbon chambers before being discharged to atmosphere;
- This is a 12 month project that will greatly improve the quality of the local groundwater environment;
- This example of innovation demonstrates how one contractor acted beyond its standard procedures, resource application and commitment to support the local area and environment.
Monitor report. Morgan Sindall Construction & Infrastructure Ltd. London. May 2016