Whilst working at Southlands Hospital undertaking a drainage survey, we discovered clean running water running from the ground close to a water main.
We had completed our works so began to chase the water using a vacuum excavator and dug until we found the leak which was on a old cast iron joint.
The hospital have had a long history of over consumption of water, and we believed we had found the source.
We arranged for emergency pipe fitters to attend and they were able to fix the leak by putting a clamp joint over the top of the pipe to stop the leak, this joint meant that water did not need to be shut down to the hospital.
The clamp held and we back filled our works, the hospital have reported a significant drop in water consumption since this work was carried out.