The GRAHAM Northern region delivered their first Here Come the Girls workshop to promote construction careers and careers with GRAHAM to women at key career decision points in their lives.
As an industry that traditionally recruits ‘Dads and Lads’ we asked the question ‘why not Dads and Daughters?’ – we asked staff and workforce in the region to nominate daughters, sisters, cousins, wives and nieces for a day that would showcase GRAHAM, our careers and the women in GRAHAM already doing them
- A sister – finishing her A-Levels who wanted to see how construction might use her law ambitions
- A cousin – in the middle of her Maths degree year out desperate to find a career that matched her passion for maths
- A wife and mother of 3 – recently left her professional career of 10 years with a strong interest in construction and needing a new direction
The day included:
- Focus on GRAHAM
- Industry statistics regarding women in construction, skills shortages and skills gaps
- 1-2-1s with 5 female GRAHAM ambassadors (QS, Design Co-ordinator, Building Services Co-ordinator, Document Controller & Community Engagement Adviser) covering career paths, entry routes and advice they’d give other women
- 2 x site visits to GRAHAM projects
It was a unanimous “excellent experience” where the most valuable part was meeting the GRAHAM women role models. Attendees said they’d recommend the programme to others and that it was empowering that GRAHAM are encouraging women into construction.
This programme will run again in Autumn 2018 focusing separately on young women still in full-time education and on women in higher education or changing careers.