Protecting the environment should be a key concern for considerate constructors. This includes seeking to minimise the project’s carbon footprint and reduce pollution.
See the examples below for how one site addressed this:
- The project has deployed a ‘Solatrainer’ – one of only two in use on Network Rail projects across the country.
- This high-capacity hybrid power generation and storage unit solves the problem of night-time noise arising from the use of a generator.
- The unit also has environmental benefits – in eight weeks of operation it saved 8,600 kg CO2.
- As it is made from an old container it is easily transportable and ideal for use in restricted areas were site facilities need to be established to service remote work areas.
- The team have fed into Network Rail’s senior management team and now via them and Network Rail’s Environment Manager they are helping to identify other sites where the technology might work for other contractors.
Monitor report. Carillion plc. Oxfordshire. December 2017.