It is important to provide the appropriate facilities and environment for foreign workers.
Facilitating the foreign workforce is important in providing and encouraging equality and diversity within the industry. It is also beneficial towards increasing productivity if the workforce can work more efficiently together.
One site demonstrated this through the below examples:
- The contractor retained approximately 30 Asian Muslim operatives on concrete finishing works;
- A directly employed Indian site manager was transferred onto the site for the duration of the works, to assist with communications & cultural barriers;
- All relevant site documentation & notices were translated into Urdu and a translator was engaged whenever toolbox talks or other briefings were presented;
- The need for enhanced or special facilities was explored with the operatives concerned, but met with a general acceptance of provisions which had already been provided;
- Nevertheless, the management team recognised that ritual washing was a cause of some frustration and having regard to the significant numbers involved, resolved to procure and install a Wudu appliance, so that ritual washing could be carried out in a safe, comfortable & dignified environment.
Monitor report. Balfour Beatty. Merseyside. June 2016