The contractor has coordinated lifting operations for six tower cranes across two sites, at Kings Cross S1 and T Zone, supplied by BAM Plant. This has ensured that the two projects are working collaboratively, ensuring that the LOLER 1998 regulations are adhered to and aligned. Therefore all lifting operations are properly planned, supervised and carried out in a safe manner, and that personnel are competent for the task.
The key actions to implement this initiative include:
- Weekly lifting meetings with lifting coordinators, lifting supervisors and regional Appointed Person.
- Combined anti-collision Prosite SMIE system.
- Shared tower crane rescue training.
- Shared scaffold cage demonstration with lifting teams and scaffolding subcontractors.
- Lifting best practice and lessons learnt shared.
- Communication via crane crash radios and regular phone calls.
- Feedback shared from Plan of The Day meetings, Plan of The Week meetings, and other consultation methods.
- Coordination of key deliveries and logistical changes to limit any impact on shared approach road to sites.
- Participation in regional lifting coordinators meetings.
- Blokcam usage for monitoring lifting operations.
- Using the crane ‘safe2starts’ and returning feedback on them to improve the BAM procedures.
- Upskilling of lifting operations management.
- Sharing of toolbox talks and bulletins specific to lifting operations.
- One consistent BAM approach.
- Monthly workshops with HS1, Network Rail and the client, Argent.
- Regular visits, correspondence and meetings with BAM Plant Lifting Department.
- Weekly visits and inspections from regional Appointed Person.
- Joint safety submission entry to the national awards.