Load Angel Access System
What it is
- An edge protection platform that stops falls from height and acts as a moving walkway to access the sides of a vehicle.
- The ‘Load Angel’ handrail fully encloses the vehicle and is pushed into place once the vehicle arrives at the loading bay.
- Each of the three steel work loading bays has one in place to ensure deliveries can be quickly and safely unloaded.
Why we used it
- Harnesses are not permitted as a primary form of fall prevention equipment on any Lendlease project unless approved at a senior level.
- The steel work contractor at KGX1 normally utilises a harness system for unloading steel work/ planks.
- Lendlease challenged them to remove the need for a harness when working at height.
Was it Successful?
- The ‘Load Angel’ has removed the need to use a harness as a primary system of edge protection.
- The walkway facilitates access to the sides of the vehicle and allows QA checks to be carried out without unloading the material.
- The platforms can be quickly and easily moved out the way by hand when required.
The Next Steps
- KGX1 will utilise these on all 5 Cores throughout the duration of the steel work on the project.
- Investigations are ongoing into how one side could be fixed in place to better designate loading areas and reduce the footprint of the system.
Entry submitted by Lendlease