Specialist Mechanical Electrical and Plumbing (MEP) trade contractors hosted training sessions onsite for Lendlease trainees and construction managers, including fire stopping and butt welding workshops, amongst others. These sessions start with an on-site explanation of the work by the contractor, including the RAMS so attendees can participate safely. The process is then demonstrated by the operatives and trainees then have the opportunity to participate under supervision.
Why we used it?
- Our trainees are always eager to learn more about activities on site, enabling them to safely monitor them in the future.
- The most effective way is for them to learn is to have taken part in a demonstration onsite.
- The aim of these sessions was to provide knowledge of a benchmark of quality and safety for the construction managers and trainees.
Was it successful?
- These sessions have proved very successful, feedback is incredibly positive from the Lendlease trainees and trade contractors.
- These sessions have allowed managers to have confidence in their knowledge of the task, enabling them to stop a task if it’s being completed not in accordance to the RAMS, making site a safer place.
- The trade contractors have reported that it was much easier to communicate their needs after the trainees have a direct knowledge of their works.
- We aim to hold a session for each major trade contractor on site, to heighten awareness of safe working across the site for the trainees.
- Feedback from both the trade contractors and the Lendlease employees following workshops will help us adapt sessions where appropriate so they continue to be effective.