Work involving the public highway is potentially a major source of public irritation and complaint.
If possible, road closures and diversions should be shared with utility companies to avoid multiple closures.
Site managers have implemented the following measures, to reduce impact upon the public highway:
- The most appropriate routes to the site were agreed with the Highways Agency. They were published and issued to all subcontractors, suppliers and visitors;
- The gateman held details of all site related vehicles. In the event of any of these vehicles causing obstruction or inconvenience he was able to contact the driver immediately;
- Notices in vehicles to give driver details in case causing an issue;
- Holding areas were created for parking vehicles if they arrived on site outside of agreed timeframes;
- Use of logistics warehouses where all materials from trades are delivered and then called off as required with site delivery combining multi material loads.