Multi Lingual Anti-Smoking Posters
- At the occupational nurse’s visit it was found that smoking on site was 3 times as high (61%) as the national average in Britain (19%);
- As a result Berkeley Homes (West London) Ltd decided to focus on an anti-smoking campaign;
- A large proportion of the workforce comes from Romania and Lithuania;
- The high proportion of smokers could be culturally related.
- Successful anti-smoking campaigns were arranged together with Medway Council;
- These were expanded to include posters with health information and the posters were translated into other languages (on the same poster);
- Toolbox talks on smoking were undertaken regarding the health risks;
- Information posters were displayed, giving advice of where free help to quit smoking could be obtained.
- The multi lingual posters highlighted that smoking addiction is a problem in many cultures and that it is easier to stop if colleagues are also motivated;
- Inclusiveness of everyone in the workforce, as they supported each other in an attempt to meet a common goal;
- Health benefits of quitting smoking;
- Improved image of the construction industry by encouraging the workforce to live a healthier life style.
Entry submitted by Berkeley Homes (West London) Ltd