Mulalley were one of the top 5% of companies to achieve compliance with the Government’s Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme (ESOS) Legislation.
ESOS is a mandatory energy assessment scheme for large organisations in the UK, with the Environment Agency being the UK scheme administrator.
Organisations that qualify for ESOS must carry out ESOS assessments every 4 years. These assessments are audits of the energy used by their buildings, industrial processes and transport to identify cost-effective energy-saving measures.
To achieve the ESOS legislation standard, Mulalley received ISO 50001 Energy Management System certification which enabled them to inform the Environment Agency they were fully compliant with the ESOS legislation, well ahead of the deadline.
Commenting on Mulalley’s achievement of complying with the standard, Sustainability Management Specialist for BSI, Mark Gouldstone said:
“Achieving certification to ISO 50001 is a credit to everyone at Mulalley and clearly demonstrates their commitment to becoming a more energy-efficient organisation. The team should feel proud that they have achieved this well ahead of the ESOS deadline.”
As a result of achieving the Energy Management standard, Mulalley have:
- Created a bespoke energy management system
- A detailed understanding of all their energy consumption across all operations, including transport
- Established an Energy Performance Review Panel to evaluate and advise in developing and implementing cost effective energy performance initiatives
- Identified opportunities to save energy and improve efficiency against agreed reduction targets
- Lowered carbon emissions to help reduce climate change
- Appointed energy champions and a behavioural change programme with e-learning