Construction sites should endeavour to keep residents updated with all relevant information to minimise the potential for disruption. This is particularly the case when a site is located in a busy area; these sites must look beyond the traditional newsletter approach to keeping residents informed.
See the examples below for how one site near London Liverpool Street station approached this:
- The team developed an app called ‘Broadgate Construction’ which can be downloaded for free via the Apple store or Google Play.
- The app is an interactive community tool which gives any interested member of the public access to contact information and live notifications of project events and updates, including delivery times and warnings of noisy works.
- The app also includes images of the final project and a 3D map of the area which allows users to track progress and fly through a model of the finished building.
- Those interested in job opportunities can use the app to view current vacancies and obtain information about graduate schemes and apprenticeships.
- This initiative allows the public to view, explore and comment on construction activity at Broadgate over the planned ten year framework period.
This app provides residents with all the information they need right in their pocket, ensuring they are immediately updated with relevant site news.
Monitor report. Sir Robert McAlpine Ltd. London. June 2017.