Finding new ways to recycle commonly used products and materials makes a considerable difference to the environment.
It is important for contractors to trade with companies who share the same values as themselves and also the Scheme.
This contributes to a wider network of efforts, improving the image of construction.
One company ensured that all paint used was recycled:
- All paint used on the project was a recycled product;
- ‘Paint 360’s’ innovative product saves significant carbon during manufacture compared with new paint because 95% of the ingredients, including 100% of the water needed to make the paint, is already in it;
- This means only a small amount of ingredients are added to make its paints, making them more carbon efficient;
- The manufacturer is also focused on providing employment and training opportunities for disabled and disadvantaged persons;
- Following the product’s successful use on this contract, Merthyr Tydfil Institute for the Blind, the Welsh Government and Paint 360, plan to develop the first paint recycling unit in Wales, which will not only provide substantial environmental benefits, but also the social benefit of providing sustainable job opportunities for disabled persons in the community.
Monitor report. Morgan Sindall Construction & Infrastructure Ltd. Cardiff. April 2016