At Greenwich, we are planning how we can get to zero plastics on site. Plastic waste is an epidemic issue across the world and we want to ensure our site is having as minimal impact as possible.
- Reusable bottles issued to all staff (these are also tetherable so not a safety risk)
- Integrating closed loop recycling scheme into subcontracts such as flooring package for protective covering for finishes – this requires subcontractor contracts to use a particular provider who can demonstrate closed loop recycling as we do not purchase this material ourselves
- Cutlery and tableware to all be washable and not plastic – direct procurement and agreement with the canteen provider
- Briefing to site operatives about reducing plastic use – completed by site supervisors
Long term plans
- Implement hard hat recycling programme – as subcontractors provide their own PPE we will need to review how the removal of these are managed
- Work with supply chain to prevent materials being delivered with excess plastic