Coastal protection amid unpredictable and challenging conditions presented by severe weather, places a significant emphasis on safety.
As weather conditions can quickly depreciate, a proactive approach to safety is key to protecting residents, operatives, properties and coastal businesses.
Examples of how high levels of safety on coastal sites have been maintained include:
- Local organisations, residents and stakeholders were regularly reminded and made aware of the dangers and safety issues of heavy plant and machinery, operating on beach and local roads;
- Where appropriate specific safety measures were adopted with restricted access onto the beach from secure and controlled access points;
- Strict controls were implemented as the work was tide dependent and circumstances could change very quickly;
- Risk information and updates including tidal and weather conditions were issued daily;
- Local coastguard and emergency services were kept informed of site activities;
- Awareness of working on a tidal location was reinforced, using a site specific induction topic;
- Regular safety and review meetings with management and operatives were in place, as part of the consultation to enhance and improve safety performance.
First visit Monitor Report, Pevensey Coastal Defence Ltd, East SussexOctober 2014