A cluttered dashboard can seriously impede a driver’s view of his surroundings. All trucks come from the manufacturers in a legal state, it is drivers or operators that are retro fitting these styling items that do not comply with legal requirements.
UK Law has specific requirements with respect to ‘view to the front and windscreen obscuration’ under:
- Regulation 30 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986
- Regulation 100 of The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986
- Section 40a of The Road Traffic Act 1988
These are not just specific to HGVs, they also apply to LCVs.
Unsafe vehicles kill and injure people every year which is why CLOCS have developed the Clear Dash and Safe Cab safety checklist, this is a simple, easy two page checklist to help improve vehicle safety.
Fleet operators – share this within your networks and incorporate this checklist into your vehicle checks.
Principal contractors – this check should be incorporated into your site access control regime, detailed in the agreed Construction Logistics Plan (CLP). Your gate teams should be checking every vehicle entering/leaving your sites.
Regulators and clients – the CLOCS standard has requirements for a suitable and sufficient CLP that addresses the main transport impact and risks in delivering the project safely.
What can we all do?
- Recognise and Manage the risks involved.
- Review, and update as required our policies and procedures in relation to vehicle inspection.
- Ensure the drivers recognise the role they have play.
To find out more, click the link below.