On this project as part of the refurbishment works to be carried out on the Admin building, the company’s operations staff and management had to be relocated to temporary accommodation to facilitate the work. In line with relocating their operations staff and management a traffic management plan was implemented to provide safe access and egress to and from the temporary accommodation.
Two solar powered belisha pedestrian crossing beacons were installed as part of the measures in the traffic management plan (TMP). They are located at the crossing point between the car park and temporary accommodation. The pedestrian beacons are accompanied with the installation of speed ramps on the approach road which is trafficked by HGV’s at regular intervals.
The benefits of this are:
- The system has the ability to store energy in a battery, making the flashing beacons visible during both day and night even if there is no sunlight available.
- Improvement of sustainability and good environmental practices.
- Easily installed with no requirement for ducting to provide a power source.
- Automatically operates 24/7 throughout the year.
- Zero energy consumption and CO2 emissions following installation.
- Bluetooth (BLE) transmitter built into the beacon that broadcasts iBeacon protocols. This feature enables the beacons vital performance parameters to be interrogated remotely, e.g., battery voltage, discharge current and the beacons unique ID (UID). The data is updated every 20 seconds and viewed via specifically designed software. The Bluetooth (BLE) can also link a smartphone via an app and be controlled from the app.