Looking for new initiatives to engage with the local community is a great way to show your support for the surrounding community.
This could include local charity work, renovation work and creating opportunities for schools, businesses and residents.
Sites have achieved this by doing the following:
- Contacting local homeless charity St Mungo’s, to offer commercial furniture, which was unwanted from a refurbishment project on a university, (this furniture would have ended up on a landfill site);
- After selling commercial kitchen equipment from the project, the site decided to donate £2,000 to the charity, which was the money raised from selling the kitchen equipment;
- After being impressed with the standard of work the homeless people were doing on a course with the charity, the site manager liaised with St Mungo’s to give the homeless people involved the opportunity to gain more work experience by decorating the site office;
- The homeless people gaining work experience on the site were provided with free meals and given unbranded PPE which they could keep, to use on their next job;
- The site is investigating providing CSCS cards and potentially long term employment to the people on work experience.