With the need for the construction industry to attract more people into the industry, it is important for sites to work with the community to create opportunities to teach them about the industry.
See the examples below for how one site addressed this:
- The site contacted a local metalwork company and college to get a number of students to produce an effective safe container to keep first aid and spare PPE close to the workface which was some distance away from the site office.
- The students took the requirements specification and designed a box that provided enough space to keep the items safe, clean and dry and added a UV protection cream dispenser, a mirror and helpful signage.
- The students also manufactured the box, which included learning metalwork and welding skills.
- This initiative aimed to display the various work elements required in construction even on a small project and it is hoped this will attract young people into the industry in future.
- The site considered other ways that this process could be continued and the same arrangement provided a cycle rack to be used on site.
Monitor report. Jackson Civil Engineering. Leicestershire. October 2017.