All those working on site should feel welcome and not be subject to foul, offensive or inappropriate language.
See the examples below for how one site addressed the issue of language:
- The site has introduced a ‘Monthly Spotlight’ on important issues.
- The current focus is on foul, offensive or inappropriate language on site and the effect this can have on fellow personnel including women and those new to the industry.
- It is felt that until now inappropriate language has been accepted relatively unchallenged.
- For those not complying with policy, a ‘swear box’ has been installed with proceeds going to charity.
- Each topic becomes the subject of at least one toolbox talk during the month to each subcontractor, covering all operatives on site.
Monitor report. Ardmore Construction. London. June 2018.