On this site a special projects team was set up, ‘Vision 2021’ which includes apprentices, graduates and young professionals from a range of disciplines across the project, mentored by a senior health and safety manager. The team assists the senior leadership team (SLT) in addressing specific challenges across the project, with the benefit of fresh eyes and approaches. The Vision 2021 team has successfully taken on several challenges across operational, health, safety and wellbeing issues, devising and implementing solutions.
This initiative gives young people in their early career the opportunity to work alongside SLT members and other teams. This gives them exposure to the challenges that face the project and the business as a whole, and the chance to develop their problem solving, communication and leadership skills in different situations.
Some initiatives include:
- Creation of a biweekly knowledge sharing newsletter
- Establishing a quarterly innovation competition to encourage sharing ideas across site
- Organising awareness campaigns, for example on electrical safety and mental health
- Promotion of physical health and wellbeing with quarterly exercise challenges
- Addressing social engagement for colleagues working from home.
Benefits for the site and the business:
- More health, safety and wellbeing campaigns to help individual workers improve their HSW and engage in site events
- Helps workers, trades and the business to learn about innovative practises to improve on working methods
- Wider range of ideas and initiatives
- Maximise learning and development opportunities for early career employees