To avoid spill kits being used as litter bins or stock being used unnecessarily, a simple solution is to attach numbered tamper tags to each kit.
This will ensure that when a spill occurs you have a fully stocked kit ready for use.
If a kit has been used the tag will have been removed and Section Foreman/Engineers will then investigate why the kit has been used and immediately replenish the kit.
A new tag will be issued once the team have fully investigated why the spill has occurred and informed the environment team.
The benefits of this system include:
• Kits are always stocked for emergency use;
• The site is alerted that kits have been tampered with if the tag is missing;
• Improved spill kit monitoring during inspections;
• Prevents kits being used unnecessarily and reduces costs.
Before sealing a kit, a check sheet is completed so the team always have the following spill kit items available for any emergency spill response:
• Oil absorbent boom/rolls;
• Oil absorbent mats;
• Chemical absorbent pads (only for chemical spill kits);
• Oil absorbent granules;
• Blue plastic bag and ties for secure disposal of used spill kit materials;
• Rubber gloves for handling spill materials.
Entry submitted by Taylor Woodrow BAM Nuttall JV
The Scheme does not promote or endorse any products, goods or services. For more information, click here.