Any efforts to reduce dust generation is a positive for the environment, workforce and community.
There should always be room to implement innovative techniques, which may have a positive impact on safety or the environment.
One site achieved this through the implementation of forced air de-bonding:
- Forced air de-bonding strip was used in piles to limit reduction works and avoid need for cutting;
- Hollow plastic device was introduced, with air forced in to burst joint at cut-off level, thereby limiting dust generation;
- Very shallow wedges were placed on top of the cropping level (on top of a de-bonding strip), and grout then continued to the top of the pile;
- When they come to cropping, they force air into the wedges, and this expands the material enough to lift the waste from above the cropping level off the de-bonding strip for removal by machine;
- There is no cutting and if widely used this innovative approach would reduce dust generated in this type of operation significantly.
Monitor report. A J Morrisroe & Sons Ltd. London. April 2016