This project has implemented a system of controlling hot works as part of their critical risk activities review programme.
Having discovered a new 3L multi-use wet chemical fire extinguisher that is used for the main fire points, they are also using it as a hot works portable system in a 330ml container.
As this system does not exist on any other construction site, they have been given exclusive rights.
The benefits are:
- A portable device means of protection during the hot works.
- It only weighs 300grams.
- Single-use: one type of extinguisher/fluid works on all types of fires except for large electrical – this has been tested to British safety standards.
- The digital training app that is being rolled out means all the workforce can be trained to use the products at induction with a certificate generated.
- Digital training via an app means all of the workforce will be fire marshal trained and aware.
- Fewer extinguishers are required on site due to the single-use nature of the system (subject to fire risk assessment).
- Spraysafe is the really interesting product, the first aerosol fire suppressant product with obvious uses in hot works and machines.
- Environmentally friendly as the contents are non-harmful.
- The products are endorsed by London Fire Brigade Enterprises with the fluid being at least four times more effective than traditional methods.
- Cost neutral.
- One container of 300ml, lasts as long as a 3L extinguisher of any chemical we have, which means a reduction of manual handling.
- Operatives can always have an extinguisher to hand as it can be attached to a work belt.
- It can be sprayed at any angle
- Fire-Scape (the brand) are working in conjunction with FP50 extinguishers to use the chemical in the FP50 containers.