A Site Waste Management Plan (SWMP) describes how materials, including plastics and packaging, will be disposed of and explains how the re-use and recycling of waste will be maximised. Using a SWMP not only protects the environment, but can significantly reduce costs.
To build an efficient SWMP, the following should be considered:
- Liaising with suppliers to prevent plastic and packaging waste, and to maximise the volume of sustainable packaging used.
- Quantifying the volume of materials that should be used to avoid excess waste.
- Estimating how much of each type of waste will be produced and the proportion of which will be recycled and re-used.
- Updating the plan as construction progresses to monitor how waste is being re-used or recycled.
- Identify where your plastics and packaging are being treated/recycles and publicise positive results.
- Communicating with your waste management supplier to ensure plastics and packaging are segregated to maximise recycling rates.