To reduce plastic and packaging waste, Site Managers should educate the workforce about the importance of reducing, re-using and recycling plastics and packaging.
Site Managers should consider introducing the following strategies:
- Informing the workforce about the site’s environmental policy and their targets to reinforce the importance of reducing waste.
- Hosting toolbox talks to remind the workforce about the importance of re-using, recycling and reducing plastics and packaging.
- Reminding operatives of the waste hierarchy to ensure they re-use and recycle plastics and packaging before disposing of waste to landfill.
- Displaying posters on site to remind operatives to re-use and recycle plastics and packaging.
- Showing operatives what kinds of plastics and packaging can and cannot be re-used or recycled.
- Providing clearly labelled recycling skips and bins on site to make the process of recycling easier for operatives.