At the end of most projects, 34% of waste produced on site consists of packaging. Contractors and suppliers should take responsibility and ensure alternatives to plastic packaging are used where possible.
Suppliers could minimise plastic packaging by:
- Providing packaging containing a high recycled content. Using packaging with a high recycled content is more sustainable than other forms of packaging.
- Supplying alternatives to plastic packaging including boxes, crates, pallets and containers made from bamboo, timber, plywood and cardboard.
- Operating take-back schemes so plastic packaging can be returned to suppliers for re-use.
- Delivering construction materials with minimal or no packaging to prevent waste disposal to landfill.
Contractors can reduce plastic packaging by:
- Liaising with suppliers to ensure they are using packaging that can be re-used or recycled.
- Specifying in contracts with suppliers that primary, secondary and tertiary packaging must be minimised.
- Using suppliers who operate a sustainability policy and have a good recycling record.
- Avoiding over-ordering materials and ordering materials in bulk to minimise the accumulation of plastic waste.