The Wellington Place 7 and 8 project team, led by Dan Miller, has shown great leadership and professionalism by using their sphere of influence to achieve the environmental targets set at the beginning of the project.
- 59% reduction in CO2 emissions from the following measures: 100% Renewable energy electricity supply, primary and secondary lighting circuits that reduce unnecessary use of electricity overnight and at weekends, and innovative Solar PV system that has saved over 2,500kg of CO2 to date.
- Remaining CO2 emissions offset to become a Zero Carbon site using our innovative buddy scheme.
- Excellent Environmental Management with no reported environmental incidents
- Over 30 waste minimisation initiatives including closed loop recycling schemes and reduction of single-use plastics on site and the canteen.
- The energy efficiency of the new building is estimated to save approx. 1,000 tonnes of CO2 emissions per year compared to the average for new office buildings in the UK saving over £25,000 a year on energy costs.
- Desktop publishing support to produce high quality report to communicate environmental achievements.
Taking extra steps not only to make the site works Carbon Zero, but working with Wates Group procurement and sustainability teams to establish a Solar PV initiative led to:
- A £25k spend with a Social Enterprise to design, supply and install the PV system which can be used on other Wates projects in the region
- Established the proof of concept which will support other regions to develop their capacity to generate their own renewable energy on sites
- Innovative way to engage staff and clients by displaying real time site energy use and generation and opportunities for staff to get involved with renewable energy technologies
This project has demonstrated how strategic partnerships and shared values can create innovative solutions that work across the three pillars of sustainability; economy, environment and society for our clients, stakeholders and our business.
To find out more, click the link below.
Monitor Report. Wates Construction Ltd. West Yorkshire. April 2019.